The kitchen is the most trafficked area in a house; spilling, stomping and running, your kitchen takes it all. But with regular maintenance and by using the right wood and finish you can have durable wooden flooring in your kitchen.
Here are a few things that you might want to consider before getting your kitchen wooden floored.
The best species of wood for Kitchen
When flooring your Home Flooring: Discover The Advantages And Disadvantages Of ... Wyndmere ND 58081 kitchen, it is advisable to always for the hardest wood. Oak and ash are some of the strongest native wood species used in the making of wooden floors. The greatest advantage of using these species is that their beautiful and heavy graining and delicate texture not only make your kitchen floor beautiful but it also helps camouflage the small scratches and dents that are Wyndmere ND 58081 bound to occur over time.
There are other stronger wood species available in the market like Jatoba and Santos Mahogany, but the main disadvantage of using them is that they tend to change colour and darken over time. Also, they are very susceptible to humidity fluctuations.
The best wood finishes for Kitchen
Wooden floors in the kitchen need to have a protective coating to prevent the absorption Try Hardwood Flooring for Your House Wyndmere ND 58081 of moisture and stains. Although most of the wood floor finishes available, today are suitable for kitchens, using a water-based clear finish is often recommended because they preserve the wood’s colour and can be easily re-coated. The best water-based finish is a factory-applied, acrylic-impregnated finish that diffuses through the wood instead of just staying on the surface. Although acrylic coated floors are more expensive, Wyndmere ND 58081 they are stronger and require less maintenance. Also using satin sheen finish helps disguise dirt.
Polyurethane lacquer finishes are very strong and durable. They are more than enough for any home interior. But, if there is too much damage, then parts of the floor or in some cases the entire section will have to be replaced. The parts near the sink, the stove, and Wyndmere ND 58081 the fridge are most vulnerable to damages from drops and spills. You can use rugs to secure these parts.
UV-cured oil finishes are not as durable as lacquers, but the benefit of an oil finish is that the damaged areas can be fixed or restored quickly. Spot repairs can be made by using sanding paper. An oil-finished hardwood floor is a suitable option for Wyndmere ND 58081 a kitchen where the spills are cleaned up immediately.
Matching kitchen cabinets with wooden floors
The kitchen looks appealing when the floor and the cabinets have contrasting looks. For example, if you opt for a dark floor, you may want cabinets painted in a light colour or made from a light wood.
Maintaining Hardwood Floors in a Kitchen
• As mentioned kitchen floors are going to suffer water Wyndmere ND 58081 spillage and staining so it is necessary that these wooden floors are given a couple of coatings of the sealing agent to prevent moisture penetration.
• If anything spills, make sure to wipe it up immediately, and never let water stand on the wooden surface for long.
• Make sure that you don’t scrub or use any strong chemicals for cleaning. Use products especially recommended for Wyndmere ND 58081 wooden floors to reinstate the original shine of your floor.
• It will also be essential to sweep or vacuum the floors frequently, to keep them free of grit and grime that can scratch the wood and wear away the finish.
• If the floors get damaged, you can get them refinished. This process involves sanding the surface and re-applying the protective layers.
Advantages of Wood Flooring Wyndmere ND 58081 in kitchen:
• Wood is a warm material that brings vital energy into your Kitchen. And if you are using wooden flooring for all your other spaces then using the same for your kitchen ensures evenness in your decor. This is especially visible in homes with open kitchens where the kitchen seems to be an extension of the living room.
• Hardwood floor is long-lasting, and Wyndmere ND 58081 it tends to ages gracefully.
• Hardwood floors are environment-friendly and are the healthiest floors which create a clean environment.
• The kitchen is one area where one or more people will spend a lot of time standing as they cook. And that is why the comfort of the floor is imperative. Wooden flooring offers a softer and more comfortable surface to stand on. Studies have Wyndmere ND 58081 shown that wooden floors are good for the spine and the joints of your body!
Disadvantages of Wood Flooring:
• The wooden floors need regular polishing every 3-4 years to maintain its finish in high traffic areas such as the kitchen. And the cost of polishing is high.
• Wooden flooring will be damaged in the event of any water overflow or drainage which is very frequent Wyndmere ND 58081 in kitchens. Leaks are going to be a regular concern when you decide to install wood in your kitchen. The only way take care of this threat is to make sure that all appliances are maintained properly, and all the pipes are sturdy and free of any leaks.
• Wooden floor’s finish is prone to scratching from a kitchen’s heavy traffic and pet nails.
• Another Wyndmere ND 58081 major drawback is that the refinishing process is a messy process. It requires taking almost everything out of the kitchen and then using huge, loud equipment that sends sawdust flying through the air.
Real wood flooring can be an eye-catching and brilliant addition to your kitchen. I am sure this article would have given you a descriptive know-how about wooden flooring in kitchens; from selecting Wyndmere ND 58081 the right wood to taking care of your kitchen flooring. So if you are sure about getting wooden flooring installed in your kitchen, then go ahead get creative, play around with various rich colours to design your unique kitchen.